Friday 26 May 2017

What a fantastic idea - a solution to everyone’s storage woes

While doing some freelancing work for a client writing a money saving E-book,  I looked into their company and what they do, which turned out to be genius, so wanted to share the idea.

It is particularly useful for all you Expats, boaters, sailors, motor homers, caravaners and any of you that have your possessions in storage for any length of time. As an Expat and a previous live-aboard yachtie, I am very aware of the high costs of storing my important belongings back in the UK while I am out of the country. When I saw this concept, I was compelled to share with you all.

Think Airbnb for storage. Storemates offer storage space, provided by local people in the area you want to store in, who have space to rent out. It works out over 50% cheaper than using the standard storage units. It is easy to set up, you can just go to the website www.storemates.co.uk search for the area you want to store in and you will find a large choice of different spaces to rent.

When I checked out my home postcode in Croydon, Surrey. There are 86 spaces within a 10-mile radius of my UK home. They range from attics to commercial units, from spare rooms to containers. The price range in my area start from £5.29 a week and there are plenty of sizes available.  The space I currently rent (25 square foot - a standard garden shed size) costs me £16.50 a week in a self-storage place in Croydon. Using Storemates, I can rent a half of someone’s attic (100 square foot) for £8.23 a week. That is over half price and will save me over £400 a year. My first job , when I get back to the UK on my next visit, is to move my storage to Storemates.

Storemates make sure this method is as secure as possible with an insurance policy and the Storemates protection guarantee so you can have peace of mind while storing your stuff. The feedback on the business is very good, I will let you know more once I have switched my stuff.
The other brilliant thing about Storemates is if you have a spare space to rent out you can make money the same way that Airbnb works, but without the difficult guests!

The Sharing Economy concept in the UK and in the world, is gaining enormous momentum and I helped write an E-book together with Storemates to share all these ideas for saving and making money with everyone. If you would like a copy of the E-book follow this link:






No comments:

Post a Comment